Education and Incentives

The Washington National Guard’s Education and Incentives Office provides support of education benefits, incentives, and many other programs to the Soldiers and families of the Washington National Guard. 

Education Services Summary


Federal Tuition Assistance

Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) is financial assistance provided through for voluntary off-duty education programs in support of a Soldier’s professional and personal self-development goals no matter where they are stationed across the United States.

FTA will pay help pay for an undergraduate and graduate degree for up to $250 per semester hour and up to 16 SHs per fiscal year. 

To apply for federal tuition assistance programs, visit and more FTA Information

Please contact us at 253-512-8931 or email us at

Washington National Guard Post-Secondary Grant

Administered by the Washington Student Achievement Council, The National Guard Grant helps eligible, actively participating members of the Washington National Guard get an undergraduate degree or certificate. The program provides education opportunities to qualified service members and serves as an incentive to extend their National Guard service.

Participants commit to serving one year in the Washington National Guard in exchange for each year of grant funding. Combined with state and federal aid, grants can cover tuition and fees at approved colleges in Washington, as well as a portion of books and materials.

Those interested are encouraged to reach out to their education office or recruiter for more information on good standing with the Washington National Guard. The Washington National Guard may select applicants to meet certain recruitment needs.

The current grant was created in 2020, replacing a prior scholarship for Guard members.

To more information and to apply go to

Applicants interested in learning more about the Post-Secondary Grant can contact the following offices:

- 141st Air Refueling Wing Base Education & Training Manager, Fairchild AFB, Spokane, WA. Phone: (509) 247-7072

- 194th Wing Base Education & Training Manager, Camp Murray, WA 98430. Phone: (253) 512-3318

- 225th Air Defense Group Education & Training Manager, JBLM McChord Field, Tacoma,WA.  Phone: (253) 982-4877

- Army National Guard Education Services Office, JFHQ-WA, ATTN G1, Camp Murray, Tacoma, WA 98430.  Phone: (253) 512-8435

Montgomery GI Bill

 In addition to paying your college tuition, we’ll send you a monthly expense allowance of over $300—about $11,000 over a four-year period. Best of all, this money is sent directly to you (not to your school) to spend on books, supplies—or anything you want.

Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve Chapter 1606 of Title 10, U.S. Code

Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve Chapter 1606 of Title 10, U.S. Code is for members of the National Guard and Reserve.

You may qualify for GI Bill benefits under this chapter if you joined the National Guard or Reserves and signed a 6 year contract. This benefit will provide a monthly allowance of $375 depending on your enrollment. That’s a total of more than $13,212 over 36 months. And if you qualify for the Army National Guard Kicker, you’ll earn even more. Best of all, this money is sent directly to you (not to your school) to spend on books, supplies—anything you want.

GI Bill 1606

Please visit the following link to apply

Please contact us at 253-512-8435 or email us at

Army National Guard Kicker

The Army National Guard Kicker supplements the Montgomery GI Bill and pays up to $350 per month—up to $12,600 over 36 months. You’ll need to apply and qualify for this program. 

GI Bill Kicker

Please contact us at 253-512-8435 or email us at

GI Bill Programs for active duty service members

Qualifying active duty periods of service:

10 USC Regular Service, 10 USC 688 Vol and Involuntary Retiree Recall, 10 USC 12301(a) Involuntary Mob/Contingency for War or National Emergency declared by Congress; domestic emergencies also, 10 USC 12301(d) Vol Mobilization/Contingency, 10 USC 12301(d) Vol Active Duty Training (ADT), 10 USC 12301(d) Vol Active Duty Special Work (ADSW) and Active Duty Operational Support-Reserve Component (ADOS-RC), 10 USC 12301(g) POW/MIA, 10 USC 12302 Involuntary Mob/Contingency for National Emergency declared by the President up to 1 million Ready Reserve up to 24 consecutive months; domestic emergencies also, 10 USC 12304 Involuntary Mob/Contingency to augment Active Forces declared by the President up to 200,000 Selected Reserve up to 365 days; not for domestic emergencies, 32 USC 502(f) Operation Noble Eagle 11 Sep 2001-31 May 2002, 32 USC 502(f) AGR at State Level.

GI Bill CH30

GI Bill CH33

Please contact us at 253-512-8435 or email us at

Transfer of Education Benefits

TEB is an incentive for continued service offered to Service Members who qualify for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. All Army National Guard Soldiers considering TEB should initiate the process as soon as they meet the requirements because they will not be eligible to transfer once they have separated from the service or retired.

How to transform your GI Bill

How to Apply for the GI Bill

Comparison Chart

To process a Transfer of Education Benefit application please ensure you have over 4 years remaining on your current contract.

Please click here to begin the application

Please contact us at 253-512-8435 or email us at

Forever GI Bill

The Harry W. Colmery Veterans Educational Assistance Act, also known as the “Forever GI Bill,” was signed into law on August 16, 2017. The law will allow more Veterans and service members to qualify for the GI Bill and more time in which to use it. Some of the changes go into effect immediately, and some go into effect at later dates as listed below.

Harry W. Colmery Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2017 "The Forever GI Bill"

Guaranteed Reserve Forces Duty (GRFD) and Dedicated Army National Guard (DEDNG) Scholarship

The high price of tuition doesn't have to stand in the way of a great education. The Army National Guard provides financial assistance to students who wish to attend college and enlist in the Guard with two major scholarships: the Dedicated Army National Guard scholarship (DEDNG) and the Guaranteed Reserve Forces Duty contract (GRFD).

GRFD and DEDNG scholarships are for full-time students. These scholarships pay full tuition and mandatory fees, or can pay room and board (not to exceed $10,000 per year). In addition, cadets will be paid a monthly stipend. Following graduation, cadets begin a new Military Service Obligation (MSO) contract and serve eight years in the Guard, which includes training.

Reserve Officer's Training Corps (ROTC) Scholarships

ROTC is a college elective that allows you to earn a commission straight out of college as a second lieutenant in the Army. The course consists of both academic classes and hands-on training—mental and physical challenges that will help you succeed in college and beyond. Participation takes just a few hours per week.

Student Loan Repayment Program (SLRP)

For Soldiers and officers who have an existing student loan obligation at the time of enlistment in the Guard, the Student Loan Repayment Program (SLRP) may pay up to $50,000 over the life of the guard contract, with a six- or eight-year enlistment as a member of a unit.

In addition, current Guard members who extend their enlistment contract for a minimum period of six years are also eligible for this program, provided they meet certain requirements, including a qualifying score on the Armed Forces Qualifying Test and being in a valid Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) in a National Guard unit.

This incentive is also available to applicants entering Officer Candidate School (you must have at least 90 college credit hours and agree to an eight-year commitment). Your recruiter has complete details.

Ask your local recruiter. The Guard has other programs and services to help you earn additional college credits, prepare for your graduate school exam, or even get your GED—all while earning your Guard pay.

Credentialing Assistance Program

The Army’s Credentialing Assistance (CA) Program provides Soldiers with funding for more than 1,600 credentials listed on

CA will provide Soldiers up to $4,000 each year to pay for an eligible credential.Soldiers may use both Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) and Army Credentialing Assistance (CA); however, the combined usage shall not exceed $4,000 per FY. CA can be used for any credential listed on but does not have to be related to the Soldier’s MOS. CA will pay expenses for classroom, hands-on, online/blended training and associated materials to include: manuals, study guides, textbooks, processing fees, test fees, related fees for continuing education requirements, and recertification of credentials.

Please contact us at 253-512-8931 or email us at

Soldiers may begin work on their first credential pathway upon successful completion of IADT, WOBC or BOLC.

If you have questions, please contact the Education Services Office:

Education Services Officer (253) 512-1324

Incentives (253) 512-8984

GI Bill (253) 512-8435

Federal Tuition Assistance (253) 512-8931

FASFA Information

Troops to Teachers


Counseling Services

Testing - APT and DANTES

Please Contact Us:

State Education Services Officer (253) 512-1324

State Incentives Manager (253) 512-8984

State GI Bill Manager (253) 512-8435

State Education Services Specialist (253) 512-8931

Washington Army National Guard

Education and Incentives Office

41st Division Dr. Bldg. 15

Camp Murray, WA 98430