|New Mentors||Current Mentors||Mentors of the Cycle||Mentor Newsletters|
Mentoring is a positive one-on-one relationship between a youth and an adult that provides emotional support, advice and guidance to help the younger person deal with the challenges of life. The goal is to help the young person gain the skills and confidence to deal with those situations and be able and responsible to make good choices in the future. Read: Mentor Expectations & Requirements
We are now accepting Mentor applications for the Jan. 16, 2021 class. To be a Mentor at our Academy, first make sure you meet the Eligibility Requirements.
Eligibility Requirements to be a Washington Youth Academy Mentor: Are you eligible to apply? If you answer “Yes” to all the questions below, YOU ARE ELIGIBLE!
- Should be at least 25 years old.
- Same gender as the applicant.
- Not a member of the immediate family.
- Live within a reasonable distance of applicant.
- Must not have sex crimes history.
- Must be free of felonies and crimes involving alcohol or substance abuse in the last five years.
- Must provide social security number or at own cost, fingerprinting by the FBI.
- Must not be applicant’s military recruiter.
Now that you have cleared the eligibility, move to Step One.
Watch the cadet-created mentor video, “Why We Need You As A Mentor?”
Now that you have watched the Mentor video, move to Step Two.
Complete the MENTOR APPLICATION and submit the supporting documents.
The Personal Interview
Completed applications will be reviewed for eligibility requirements. If you meet the eligibility requirements, you will be contacted to set up an Interview with a WYA staff member.
Have any questions? The best way to get an answer is:
Phone: (877) 228-8947
Documents can be submitted by
• Scan/email to: Mentor.MailMil-WYA@mil.wa.gov
• Fax - 360-473-2623